Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chicken Corn Chowder

Okay, so I can NOT even BEGIN to explain our love for this soup.
I found the original recipe HERE (one of my FAVORITE cooking blogs),
and after making it many, many, MANY times, I have tweaked it a little,
and made it exactly what we love.

I could go on and on and on about the creamy deliciousness of this soup.
The beauty that is sitting there starring at me, taunting me, when it is all done.

Truly, my whole family enjoys the soup, but the hubby and I drool over it, and fight over who gets the leftovers the next day!

It IS a chowder. It is hearty and thick and filling.
It has many bright colored veggies, and is easily tweakable if your tastes desire!

Chicken Corn Chowder

4 Stalks of celery; CHOPPED
1 red bell pepper; CHOPPED
1 medium onion; CHOPPED
**if desired:
(1 TBS olive oil to saute veggies in)
(1-2 slices JARRED jalenpenos--THESE DO ADD HEAT...1 will add a bit of a bite, and 2 will add quite a bite. I add 1...then my husband adds more to his own bowl because he likes it spicier.)
-----------------------------
3 cloves garlic
1 box or 2+ cans of chicken broth (about 32oz)
3 TBS flour or 1-1/2 TBS cornstarch
2 cups frozen corn kernels (more or less according to your taste)
2 large chicken breasts; COOKED and SHREDDED
-----------------------------
1/2 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
1-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
-----------------------------
1 cup milk
4oz cream cheese; SOFTENED
------------------------------
**if desired:
1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese

On medium, in a large pan, saute the celery, red pepper, onion and jalepeno until tender...about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and stir to combine. Cook for another minute or so. In that time, mix the chicken broth with the flour or cornstarch (depending on your personal choice) and then add to the veggies. Bring to a low boil...

At that time add the corn and the chicken. Bring to a low boil.

Turn down the heat to low, add salt, pepper and paprika, and let simmer.

Stir together the milk and the softened cream cheese. (These two don't like to meld, and there are cream cheese lumps in the milk...but not to worry as the cream cheese WILL melt in the soup anyway. You can heat the milk and cheese in micro to help if you want...but it isn't necessary.)
Stir the cream cheese/milk mixture into the soup.

Let simmer on low until read to eat.

At this point you can either add the shredded cheese OR in our family, we put a little handful at the bottom of the bowl and put soup on top.


It may sound intimidating...but it really isn't. I don't even look at the recipe anymore.
TRUST ME...it is sooooooo worth it.

The chopping of the veggies is the hardest, or most time consuming part.

Eat it with breadsticks, or french bread and a nice fresh salad.
YUMMMMMMMMM!
No, seriously,
YUM!

I HAVE LINKED UP WITH....
Bluecricket Design
Me And My Bucket
Someday crafts
Sew Much Ado
We are That Family
My Backyard Eden
Life in the Pitts
The Thrifty Home
Its So Very Cheri
House of Hepworths
Somewhat Simple
Just a Girl

Raelyn

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, that sounds so yummy! I'll definitely be making it soon, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes! I am so excited! This is exactly the kind of recipe we love. And Mmmmm you are making me hungry.

    Thank you for participating in the Craft Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete